West Cornwallis Pastoral Charge Berwick - Trinity Pastoral Charge
On July 1, 1969, the West Cornwallis Pastoral Charge was formed. It was an amalgamation of two other Pastoral Charges which, up to that time, operated separately, each with its own minister. The Waterville-Woodville Pastoral Charge had as its minister, the Rev. Frances MacLellan. The Berwick-Harbourville Pastoral Charge had as its minister, the Rev. Arthur Whiston. Rev. Francis MacLellan resigned and Rev. Arthur Whiston was called by the newly formed West Cornwallis Pastoral Charge as its first minister. He was followed by Rev. Ivan Norton, Rev. Paul Shaw, Rev. Don MacPherson, Rev. Linda Winton and most recently, Rev Tom Woods.
In 2015 the Pastoral Charge voted to change its name to Berwick-Trinity Pastoral Charge. It was agreed to by the Annapolis Valley Presbytery.
Former Ministers to West Cornwallis Pastoral Charge
Rev. Arthur Whiston (
Rev. Ivan Norton (19xx-19xx)
Rev. Paul Shaw (19xx-19xx)
Rev. Don MacPherson (19xx-2008)
Rev. Linda Winton (2008-2012)
Rev. Tom Woods (2012- )
Berwick United Church
The Berwick United Church has its roots in the Methodist tradition. On January 1, 1858, a time of religious revival in the Annapolis Valley, a new Methodist Church was formally opened on Main Street. Before this time Methodist families had worshipped in the “Valley Church” at Grafton which was built in 1836. In later years. sometimes worship would be held at special services in the Temperance Hall built in Berwick in 1850. The Rev. Mr. Butcher was the first minister of the congregation.
Wesley Church, as it was called in 1925 at the time of Church Union became Berwick United Church and the name has not been changed. In l838 the original building, which was then being renovated, was destroyed by fire. Plans were immediately made for a new church building. This was to be erected on another lot, nearer the centre of town. Meanwhile, the congregation gratefully accepted the kind invitation of their Baptist friends to hold services in their church building (November 1938 to February 1940).
On February 25. 1940. during the pastorate of Rev. W.J. Dean, the present church on Commercial Street was dedicated by Rev. D. Ian MacKinnon of Pine Hill Divinity College. It was built for $17,150.and of this, $8,000 came from insurance on the old church building. Many people made generous gifts, but outstanding were those of two men, Mr. J.W. Elliott and Mr. Alfred Fuller. Among other gifts, Mr. Elliott donated the price of a building lot, the folding doors in the vestry for the classrooms, two pianos, special floor covering for the aisles, and also for many years paid half the interest on the mortgage ($5,700) when the building was completed. Mr. Fuller donated the fine Casavant pipe organ, and later gave the carillonic hells in memory of his brother, Mr. D.B. Fuller and his wife. The stained glass window in the chancel was donated by C.R. Calkin. D.B. Fuller, Fred Nash and J.W. Elliott. In 1952, during the pastorate of Rev. Gordon Pring the mortgage was ceremonially burned.
There have heen a number of changes to the building in the nearly half century since it was built — a new entrance to the basement on the south side, a ramp for wheelchairs, two new stained glass windows, etc. — but the major one, which changed the appearance of the facade and added much needed rooms, came in 1985 when Rev. Shaw was minister.
By 2000 there had been addition of beautiful stained glass windows topping the side windows of the sanctuary. Through donations and work of the congregation a new piano was added to the sanctuary in 1998. In 1999 an elevator was installed to provide easy access to both levels of the church to all.
Waterville United Church
St. Andrew’s, Waterville
The original church at Waterville was organized by Presbyterian believers. It was opened in. 1849 with Rev. George Struther of Cornwallis as minister. Waterville was then known as Bowles Settlement. Some persons from Welsford, Somerset, Berwick and Woodville belonged to this church, which was located on the east side of the cemetery.
The present building was erected on the west side of the cemetery in 1923 by J.K. Hicks and Sons of Bridgetown for the sum of $8,000. The cornerstone was laid on November 7. 1923 and the building dedicated on January 17, 1924, a cold night of 14 degrees below zero (F.) The old church building was kept as a church hall but was removed in 1969.
On June 10. 1925 this Presbyterian Church became part of the United Church of Canada, with Rev. A.D. MacKinnon as minister. Waterville and Woodville operated as a pastoral charge with one minister and a manse located in Waterville, but with separate congregations until 1969 when Wesley-Knox (Woodville) and St. Andrew’s united to become one congregation known as Trinity United Church. Services were held in each church on alternate Sundays. Since the sale of the Woodville church in 2006, the congregation now meets in the St. Andrew's church.
St. Andrew’s has an active Sunday School and an active United Church Women’s group, known as the Catherine Phinney Unit. There is also an active cemetery committee that gives the grounds tender care. Other improvements to the church are a new electric organ. a wheelchair ramp and a washroom.
Westley Knox United Church
Waterville began as Presbyterian. Berwick as Methodist, but Woodville was from the beginning a union church. Erected in 1921 (before formation of the United Church of Canada) by a nucleus of Mathodists and Presbyterian families, it was at first known as the Woodville Union Church. In 1925 the “Union” became “United”. The name Wesley-Knox was not chosen until 1948. Before the building of the two churches in Woodville (the Baptist in 1920. the Union in 1921) all denominations had held meetings in the old Woodville school hall.
Cash contributions of $8,000 enabled construction to start, but the total cost was $22,000. A burdensome mortgage was the result. For 22 years the ladies of the congregation organized under the name “Church Workers” catered to the Camp Meeting Association during the ten days of the annual camp in Berwick. This dedicated effort, along with other projects, was largely responsible fur the church being able to celebrate a “Burning of the Mortgage” ceremony in 1946. However, it was not until 1969 that the Waterville-Woodville Charge graduated from being a recipient of M & M support to being fully self-supporting. In that same year, Wesley-Knox joined with St. Andrew’s to form Trinity United Church.
During the early years, under the leadership of the pastors, Rev. A.N. Gillis, Rev. John MacKay. Rev. A.D. MacKinnon, and Dr. S.R. Prince, a Young Peoples’ League (Y.P.L.) C.G.I.T. and Tuxis Boys groups were formed, as well as Mission Band. Baby Band and W.M.S. A Junior Ladies Auxiliary was formed in the mid torties.
The Y.P.L. and the Sunday School were from the beginning a joint venture with the Baptist of Woodville. The Y.P.L. always met in the Social Room of the United Church, while the Sunday School met in each church on alternate Sundays.
The Woodville Sunday School today is a Community Sunday School, meeting in Wesley-Knox where the original diningroorn has been made into classrooms. The choir was for many years also United-Baptist, but with amalgamation is now the Trinity Choir.
At the same time that the classrooms were constructed, the kitchen was remodelled. Labour for both was donated by the men of the congregation. Other recent improvements Include a new Thomas electric organ and new choir gowns, a new carpet, and a cabinet tor the Communion ware. The stained glass window above the chancel was donated in memory of Mr. and Mrs. K.O. Parker by their daughters.
In 2006, the Wesley-Knox church building was sold by the Trinity Congregation and all services moved to St. Andrews Church.
Harbourville United Church
The Harbourville Church has a long history of service to this small community on the shores of the Bay of Fundy. In 1857 John Lathcrn. a ‘second man’ to the methodist pastor in the Cornwallis district, developed an interest in the Fundy Shore. Three years later the church in Harbourville was designed b Rev. George Butcher, a Methodist pastor. and built by John Clark. Construction costs were approximately $1000.00 and the church opened for use in 1860.
Over the years. the people of the Harhourville community held many fund-raising events on behalf of the little church on the cliffs to equip it with pews, altar cloths, hymn books, and other furnishings. In 1925. the little Methodist church became the Harbourville United Church and to this day is part of the charge ministered from Berwick United.
Improvements have been made and through a seven - generation history has been cared for by the community members, especially the women of the Ladies’ Sewing Circle. The ecumenical nature of the church is emphasised today, welcoming all members of the community. Like the community our church has a long and rich history on the shores of the Bay.
Since 2013 Harbourville United with the vision of "North Mountain Tapestry" has evolved to become a gathering place for the local community offering a weekly summer farmers market, craft displays, concerts and interesting speakers. We also hold 3 summer worship services.